Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Second First Attempt - Lesson 2

Ok, so on Sunday I decided to follow directions a little better and move up on the lesson plan. Lesson two called for adding fat and sugar to the mix. This time, milk, butter and sugar were added to the flour mixture. However, I did deviate from the recipe. I know I shouldn't have, but for some reason it made sense in my head. I shouldn't listen to myself. It didn't turn out bad, but not as fluffy as I wanted. I added a little bit of wheat flour to the mix, when it didn't call for any.



The next time (this next sunday) I'll follow the recipe and do it right. Perhaps, I'll only try to make rolls instead.

This time you can see that my first rising was very successful. In the first picutre my blob of dough doubled in size just like it was supposed to. Now this time, after I beat up the dough, I took the time to shape it and rise for a second time on the stone. After scoring and baking you can see the bread did rise and color very nicely.

However, if you can tell once I cut it, that while it did rise nicely, the addition of the wheat flour seemed to have a negative effect on the crumb (little air pockets that form when the bread rises and bakes). It was slightly....heavy. I think the added wheat was too much gluten and I didn't compensate for it. I will do better and follow the recipe.

No comments: