Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pain a l’Ancienne

We now turn to the rustic breads. By rustic I mean simple, lean and very basic to make. It is one of the basics that many others coming up will be derived from. This first is your classic French baguette recipe and pretty much turned out exactly how it was supposed to.

I wish I had read the book ahead of time as I was supposed to retard the dough overnight. Oh well, people at work got some on Tuesday instead of Monday. This delayed fermentation uses ice cold water and a very slack dough. This larger hydration ratio uses the water to break down the flour even further into sugar, to dig at the natural sweetness that remain in breads using standard fermentation techniques.

From this basic recipe I can make Ciabatta, pizza, focaccia, pugliese, stirato, and pain rustique. The bread was sweeter than a standard French bread, and had a great chewy crust. I think this was my favorite bread so far. I served it with oil and balsamic vinegar.

Next week – Pain de Campagne

2 comments:

LDM said...

Looks wonderful Brian. It's lunch time and it's making me hungry!

Pat and Peggy said...

That looks so delicious, Brian.