Sunday, January 24, 2010

Kaiser Rolls and a Light Wheat

So this weekend I got my Kaiser roll stamp. It's exactly what you're thinking of, a playdough looking think to cut a swirly pattern into the dough.

I have no idea why the rolls are formed that way, but only with the pattern are they known as Kaiser rolls. Supposedly without the pattern they are known as "weck." The Beef and Weck is a sammich that came from England and also gained popularity in Buffalo, where we get the Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck from.

Either way, I had the opportunity to actually make some shredded Italian Beef and use it on the rolls. Even better I was able to share all of this with out neighbors.

Later this weekend, in fact, this morning. I decided to start the adventure of creating bread loaves for everyday use around here. Lo and behold the bread this week was a light wheat bread. I cannot describe how excited I was when this bread turned out. I got to use my knew loaf pans, and the bread turned out perfectly. There has always been a little bit of reservation on my part with using whole wheat flour. I can never seem to make the loaf work. However, it was explained to me in this passage that whole wheat uses a 1/3 to 2/3 of whole wheat to white bread flour for a 100% flour weight. I think this was the combination I may use. Some of the food sites I read say I can substitute 100% of the whole wheat flour, but I not sure. This bread was beautiful.

This is the one I'm bringing in to work tomorrow. Enjoy everyone. Next week...Marbled Rye.
Also..I made more crackers this weekend. A book I read gave a rule for eating.."Eat all of the junk food you can make." So I made some.

No comments: