Sunday, January 31, 2010

He Stole My Marbled Rye!

How could I not quote that famous Seinfeld episode? I was anxious to make this bread as it calls for a little more artistic flare than the standard wheat bread. Well, not too artistic, but I did have to make two separate doughs and combine them together to form the spiral.

The rye has a great smell, and even better taste with the caraway seeds. I’m thinking that when I make my corned beef I’ll have to make a couple loaves of this bread to go with it. In this session of bread making I had to ensure that both doughs were of the same consistency and texture. I suppose I should have read more details on this bread, as it seems it could have gone wrong.

I did mix it for the 4 minutes it suggested, but I have been known to go longer. With rye flour, the type of gums in the flour interferes with gluten development. With a slight overmixing (if I had done, but I didn’t) the dough would have gummed up and become too tough to rise. It was good then I let it be a slight bit tacky when it was done.In order to get the dark coloring for the dark rye, the recipe called for either caramel coloring or cocoa powder. Since I could not find any coloring, I went with the powder. I was a little skeptical since the cocoa made the bread smell, well, like cocoa. But after baking, I couldn’t tell it was there, and it photographed very nicely.

1 comment:

Lindsay Jean said...

Shut up, you old bag!

Marbled rye and corned beef - are we invited? Sounds delicious.