Monday, January 7, 2008

Ye Old Bread Shope

The first breads I attempted to create from 100 Great Breads was a Crusty Cob. This bread, which date back to medieval times, was known as one of the oven bottom, as this was invariable where it was baked. Baked to a deep color, it's a great British loaf.

Sweet. I played Dungeons and Dragons. I could just picture myself speaking some kind of thick Cockney accent that no one but Ozzy can understand, all covered in flour shoveling loaves into a gigantic hearth. More close to reality, I'm not British and don't have a hearth. The bread turned out ok, the first batch being tossed.

I added more water to this one, about 1/4 cup more. I don't think I kneaded it as well as I should have, since it did turn out to be somewhat dense. Not very dense, just a little. I only kneaded it for 5 minutes per directions. However, I now know how and what these directions really mean. The color and taste turned out ok. It was a little salty, but this recipe did call for 1 tbs of salt. Compared to the loaf I'm making tonight which was only 1.5tsp and 1/2 cup of sugar.

By the way, I really love making the round loaves, free form style. Something about bread pans (traditional) that bother me.

1 comment:

Pat and Peggy said...

No matter what the taste, the loaf looks great.